Note to self: Next time you hear someone singing loudly outside as they approach your door, and then a loud confident knock, it's not the carolers. It's probably best to just pretend you're not home.
That is unless your children get so excited whenever they hear the doorbell ring and they run to the door and throw it open before I can tell them no (I always keep it locked for that reason, but sometimes I don't do the top latch right and they can still open it). I guess it's time to sit them down and teach them a little lesson on stranger danger.
You probably all know who I'm talking about. No, it's not the JW's. This isn't the first time they've been to my house either. I should have recognized the singing and loud obnoxious knock. But, it was too late. My children already had the door wide open and there are two girls standing there.
The conversation goes something like this:
Solicitor: "Hi my name is Robyn soandso and I'm with Urban Nation. Have you ever heard of us?"
Me: (holding a hungry baby in my arms and a toddler holding onto my pant leg). "Um, no."
Robyn: "We come from the 'projects' and we're just trying to earn so many points that will get us a job promotion. You see, we're trying to get away from the 'projects' and make it on our own. We're not out begging for money. We're trying to earn it. And what my I ask are your names?"
I tell her.
Robyn: Shaking my hand, "It's so nice to meet you. Now how do you think you can help us earn these points today, Miss?" (as she's handing me the folder with magazines in it). Does this ring a bell with any of you? Now where in here do they give you a chance to say 'no'?
Me: "I don't see any magazines in here that I would want."
Robyn: "Oh those aren't for you, honey. These are donated to places like women's shelters." Again, where in here do I get to say 'no'? Instead they lead me right where they wanted me to go, the check book, and now I'm $33 poorer. I'm such a sucker. Or, Ijust don't know how to say no. I guess I won't tell you about the Lifeline Industries that employs deaf and blind people to sell their products like expensive light bulbs over the phone. They're not asking for handouts either. They're just trying to work for a living.
My New Favorite Quote:
"All can walk where Jesus walked when, with His words on our lips, His spirit in our hearts, and His teachings in our lives, we journey through mortality. I would hope that we would walk as he walked with confidence in the future, with an abiding faith in His Father, and with a genuine love for others." President Thomas S. Monson
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
They aren't carolers
reporting live Here at home at 3:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 now let's hear it from you:
I always get the boys but I always turn them away and then worry for about 2 weeks that they are going to return with a spray of bullets. They always leave so disgusted with my uncharitable ways.
Sucker! You belong on my sucker post right along Rob and Jordan.
Bonbon, what are you still doing up? You're probably stilllaughing your head off over your latest post.
Wow, that is a new one. They come singing to your door? Wierd.
Don't you remember Mom's line? "When we got married, my husband and I promised not to spend $ at the front door or over the phone." I have added for extra measure, "You wouldn't want me to break a promise to my hubby right?"
Why are you guys up so late? I was in bed (trying to get warm) by 8 pm with thoughts of new blogs dancin' in my head.
I like that idea PP. I'll have to remember that.
As I remember being taught in school, "Just say no!" Okay, so that was about drugs, but I think it applies to a lot more than that.
Good luck! :-) Tami
Sharon,
I was wondering if you did the slide show on my blog. I love it and need to figure out how to add more pics. I thought shauna did it, but when I clicked on it, it had your name, soooo... fess up. Yeah, I know the comment section is not supposed to be like instant messaging, but anywhoo...
K- I knew that as soon as my husband read this post I was going to get in trouble with a capital T. I was right. So, I will let you all know that I called and canceled my subscription and am no longer $33 poorer. It was easy as pie. I thought they were going to give me the run-around, but they didn't. Whew! PP, I really like your advice. I will DEFINATELY try that next time.
hey bon, it looks like you and boo can get your fix on here, too. twice even. thanks pp. you know, i also don't seem to remember saying some of the stuff in my posts. maybe i'm just sleep deprived or szomething. would you happen to know anything about this?
My old roomate Dawna in St. George left her 3 yr old neice with my other roomie Kamill and I once. A salesman called and we handed her the phone and got the biggest kick out of her having this long hilarious conversation with him! We could here everything on both sides and it was oh so funny! He didn't call back! I have never experienced anyone coming to my door YET and hope to never have them come to my door. I will just tell the truth....I didn't budget for you, sorry!
Post a Comment