My New Favorite Quote:

"All can walk where Jesus walked when, with His words on our lips, His spirit in our hearts, and His teachings in our lives, we journey through mortality. I would hope that we would walk as he walked with confidence in the future, with an abiding faith in His Father, and with a genuine love for others." President Thomas S. Monson

Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Sea World Adventure That Almost Wasn't

I love adventure. In my lifetime, I have walked the beaches of Normandy, set sail on the Baltic Sea, Climbed the Eiffel Tower, snorkeled off the beaches of Hawaii, visited the ancient ruins of Mexico, ridden the Russian railroad, toured the Neuschwansteine castle, visited the Dachau Concentration Camp, gotten lost in the French countryside, and rang the bell of Notre Dome,  but in all my thirty-something years, I've never been to Sea World. Nope. Been to San Diego once, but not to Sea World. Neither had Cory. Until now. This was the adventure of a lifetime.

This trip was a little different than all the rest. This time, we had four little, and I mean little, kids.  Everything we worried about when planning the trip was just as we thought it would be. Traveling with four small boys 1400 miles in the car isn't easy.

Christmas and San Diego 049 Christmas and San Diego 050 Christmas and San Diego 048

Two of those boys go the bathroom every half hour. It wasn't until on the way home that we learned there was an easier way to take care of that - we just let them pee in a cup. They thought that was pretty cool. No, Mom and Dad didn't get any sleep the entire trip. Imagine 7 of us (my niece Jordan got to come with us and what a life save she was), two of those babies who are used to their cribs, crammed in a motel room for 4 nights.Christmas and San Diego 042Of course we hadn't counted in the fact that at least one person would be sick the whole trip. Poor Ben had strep. We almost decided not to even go, but decided we could make a trip to Instacare and after 24 hours Ben was supposed to be feeling better. Not so.  Thank goodness another trip to InstacareChristmas and San Diego 107 took care of it. I got to spend all of about 4 hours at Sea World  and got to see my brother and sister-in-law for about 5 minutes (thanks guys for taking the boys while we went to Instacare, even though everyone thought all 6 of those little blonde boys were yours) and most of the rest of the time in the motel room. 2 1/2 days traveling, and 2 1/2 days full of fun and excitement was just about enough for 4 small boys, not to mention two tired stressed out parents. Sleep  schedules, eating schedules, play schedules etc. just aren't possible when you're running from exhibits Christmas and San Diego 127 Christmas and San Diego 098

 

to rides 

Christmas and San Diego 101

to shows at Sea World,

Christmas and San Diego 106  Christmas and San Diego 105 Christmas and San Diego 111

or driving around trying to find parking so we could visit the USS Midway for about 10 minutes before it's time to board the Hornblower for a whale watching adventure.

So, was it worth it? It certainly was. If you could have seen the look on the boys faces as they watched the whale show and dined with Shamu,Christmas and San Diego 116

if you could have heard their laughter as the ocean licked their toes while they played on the beach,Christmas and San Diego 095 Christmas and San Diego 079 Christmas and San Diego 085 Christmas and San Diego 072Christmas and San Diego 071 if you could have seen the excitement as they boarded the boat and headed out to go find whales on the ocean, it was worth it. Of course we won't mention the beautiful blue skies, no snow or the fact that Sea World has a Hail to the Heroes program for service men and woman that got our whole family in for free (thanks Anheuser-Busch for your support, even though we don't support you). You betya it was worth it. I am so glad I got to share this adventure with my boys. Now I can say I've been there, done that. Would I do it again? Give me a few years. Thanks Abby for planning our trip for us. If anyone ever needs a good trip planner, Abby is your woman.

Now, let's see. What's next on my adventure  list???

12 now let's hear it from you:

Bonnie said...

I think I will be hiring Abby for sure. Rob has some time off he needs to use and I am trying to decide between a getaway with just the two of us or the whole family who truly deserves a getaway too...

Any ideas of something fun to do?

Sincerely,

Someone who has not been to any of those fun places like you have. Except Sea World and that WAS fun!

Natalie said...

I'm so glad you guys got to go and made it back in one piece. You'll never forget that trip and talk about building character in a marriage... Also when we went to the zoo in san diego Nora was so sick. She still had fun though and if you wait for everyone to be healthy at once you'll never get to do anything:)

nora said...

oops that was nicole commenting I forgot to log nat out

OUR CHAOTIC CLAN said...

Sharon, sounds like you guys had a blast. How awesome that you were able to get in for free. We love and support our military men/women and it makes me so happy when businesses provide discounts and perks for them and their families.
I loved your video clips and cute pictures, especially at the beach. My kids would love to do something like that. I need to give in and just do it. Your boys are so handsome.
I had no idea you've been to so many interesting places. Were you in the military or did you serve a mission??? Or is your hubby in the military??? Fun! Lucky!

shauna said...

Wow, like gweech, I didn't realize you had been all those places--and I am your sister. You are well traveled. And now, Sea World, hooray. What great memories for all of you!

It was great to see you all! Hope the strep is gone from your life for a long time.

Ferrill said...

When I talked to you today, you didn't say anything about having gone to Sea World! If it had been me, I would have been gushing all over the place, but then, I don't get out much, lol!

And I had no idea that you had been to all those other amazing places! Wow! Lucky you! You'll have to fill me in sometime.

Tamster said...

How fun! That is awesome that they honor the military that way and that you got in free. How neat that Jordan got to go with y'all too. Sorry Ben was sick; I hope he's feeling better and that no one else got sick from him.

I, too, had not realized you had been all of those places, but I guess I'm not really surprised. I've probably been a lot of places people don't know about too. It is fun to travel, but it is especially fun to be with family. :-)

Hey, Bon! I've got a great idea for a vacation! Come to Texas!!! :-) Our hotel would be happy to open for business for you! Free of charge even! :-)

Tamster said...

Oh, and I didn't realize Sea World had rides. I don't know whether I've even been to Sea World (maybe when I was little, but I just remember it being too expensive and going other places), and I grew up in So. CA. It may have changed since I was a kid anyway, so I'm sure it would be a whole new experience now. How fun for y'all! :-)

Abby said...

I am glad you had fun. I like hearing about people's vacations. I will NEVER forget the "bottle" story either. It is BURNED in my brain. Let's just say that Jordan "earned" that vacation. Kudos to her, I would have said NO WAY.

Bonnie, I've got some good ideas for you, (namely Disneyland) because they have such good deals this time of year. But I have others if you are interested.

Wendoyoublog in Colorado said...

Bonnie, I think you should take that trip to Timbuctu that Mom, I mean Wow always talked about when we were little.

Shar, I knew you had been to all those places. I expect a plate of brownies for that, or brownie points at least.

A trip to never forget. I hope you are all recovered, especially Jordan, I mean Ben. Too.

Here at home said...

Krissy, I guess I should answer your question, since some of my siblings apparently aren't aware of my travels, either.
Yes, I served a mission to Russia. That was back about 13 years ago.
I was also single for a long time, so I got to play, a lot. Most of those on there, though are from my trip to Europe for my anniversary/one year anniversary. Cory was serving in Iraq and got some leave, so I met him in Germany and got to spend a couple weeks touring Europe. It was awesome. I would love to spend a couple months over so I can see everything I want to. Two weeks just isn't enough time over there.
Cory works full time for the Guard now so we are a military family.

Here at home said...

I wish we could edit our comments. I meant to say honeymoon/one year anniversary.
Thanks
the author of this blog