My New Favorite Quote:

"All can walk where Jesus walked when, with His words on our lips, His spirit in our hearts, and His teachings in our lives, we journey through mortality. I would hope that we would walk as he walked with confidence in the future, with an abiding faith in His Father, and with a genuine love for others." President Thomas S. Monson

Monday, June 22, 2009

The Innocence of a Child

What is death to a child? They just don't seem to quite grasp the concept. Yet, their innocence is so sweet. Let me share two recent experiences that will make you go, awe.
The other day, Sam came running in to inform me in a very excited tone there was a smooshed bird outside with ants all over it and it didn't have any more legs. He then went proceeded to tell me, "Mom, we can go to the store and get new ones so that the bird could walk and fly again."
Sorry, Sam, I hate to tell you, that bird's not going to walk or fly again.
And then, upon further inspection, I noticed it was a little baby bird that had fallen from a nest in the tree above. As the boys were examining it and I was explaining what happened, Ammon's made the comment, "that bird's not going to be with his family. He needs his family."
Yes, Ammon, he does need his family, just like we all do.
I love their innocence. However there was one horrifying moment yesterday when we called our good friends Mary and Loyd in St. George to wish Loyd a happy Father's Day. We have been kind of trying to prepare Ammon and Sam for the possibility that Loyd won't be around much longer. We told them he is very sick and dying. So, when we called yesterday and put the boys on speaker phone, Sam very innocently asked, "Loyd, are you up in Heaven?"
Yikes!!! Thank goodness I don't think he heard that. Either that or he did a really good job of smoothing it over by saying, "sure, I'm happy, happy."
Just one of many moments we will have, I'm sure.

2 now let's hear it from you:

Abby said...

It would be so much easier if we could just call up all those people in Heaven and chat with them for a while. I hope to keep my kids as innocent as I can. You've got great boys.

Matt said...

and so helpful to. they wanted to help the bird walk and fly and be with it's family. That's great. I can just see the look on Sam's face when he ran into the house to tell you about the bird.