My New Favorite Quote:

"All can walk where Jesus walked when, with His words on our lips, His spirit in our hearts, and His teachings in our lives, we journey through mortality. I would hope that we would walk as he walked with confidence in the future, with an abiding faith in His Father, and with a genuine love for others." President Thomas S. Monson

Monday, March 29, 2010

Basic Math

Should I be a little worried about the school I'm sending my child to when they call and tell me my son won't be old enough this year to be in kindergarten?
Lady on the phone trying to sound really nice and unpatronizing: "Um hi this is so and so from unnamed elementry school. I was just entering in your son's information on the computer. It says his birthday is October of '04. He has to be 5 to be in kindergarten and the cutoff date is Sept. 1"
Uh, this is really awkward.
Me trying not to sound so patronizing: "Um . . . He is 5. He'll be 6 in October." At least that's how I've been counting since kindergarten. We're 2010 now, not '09.
I was just so taken aback I didn't quite know what to say. Poor lady. She quickly got off the phone. Must have been one of those days. I hope she sat back and had a good laugh at herself, because I'd sure like to think I'm laughing with her, not at her. Brain farts happen to me all the time, too.
Take for instance, my highly charged political debate on FB last week when an unnamed sister thought she had the answer to our healthcare woes (which by the way, this does not mean I'm opening this up for debate on my blog. Ain't gonna happen). Why not just give the 30 million unisured a million dollars each and we'd only be spending 30 million dollars. That would be a lot cheaper than this 90 some odd billion dollar healthcare bill, right? Didn't even catch that math mistake. That's okay, though. Neither did any of my highly intelligent friends. Made for a good laugh. And my sister is still holding her head high. I'll just be sure not to send Ammon to the same school she went to, either.

3 now let's hear it from you:

Abby said...

Everyone has them. Hey, maybe she didn't even go to that school.

Dan Jones said...

That is hilarious! I wonder how many kids she had in her pile who were born in the fall of '04. Hopefully you were the first and she didn't have to call back on a bunch of earlier messages she'd left! hehe

Dan Jones said...

Ooops, that last Dan Jones comment was really Leesa Jones, as is this one. I didn't realize he had switched users!