My New Favorite Quote:

"All can walk where Jesus walked when, with His words on our lips, His spirit in our hearts, and His teachings in our lives, we journey through mortality. I would hope that we would walk as he walked with confidence in the future, with an abiding faith in His Father, and with a genuine love for others." President Thomas S. Monson

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tasty memories

It is true that smells are associated with certain memories and feelings. I guess the same could be said of taste. When I first arrived in Russia, I would often hold my breath because I didn't want to breathe in all the diesel fuel and pollution. Coming from a small farming community, it was hard to get used to the city smells, especially the Russian cities' smells. I had also been warned about eating certain food: fish, dog, horse, kholadiets, any meats in general. Every one who invited us in wanted to feed us and I didn't think I could do it. How was I going to live on this food? It was so different, so bland. After nearly passing out from lack of air and food, I decided I needed to breathe, and I needed to eat, so I may as well get used to it. This was just the way it was. I couldn't grab a hamburger, or fix some good old fashioned spagetti when I wanted to. I grew to love the food and when I got home and tried to make Russian food, it just wasn't the same. It's been quite a while since I've ventured to make anything Russian. There is a lady in my ward that has a son serving in the Ukraine and the other day we decided we would have a culture night.

Here'a a woman after my own heart. She's got all boys like me,6 strappling young men, blonde, handsome, and as energetic as she is.
We attempted to make some borsch. First time making it for me. Not so bad, I must say. I knew the Anderson family wouldn't know if it tasted right since they've never tried it before. It's been so long since I've eaten it. I didn't think my taste buds would remember what it's really supposed to taste like. Russians tend to like their food bland. We all agreed that it needed salt, though. If a real Russian would have tried it, they may have cringed. Even if it didn't taste exactly like it does in Russia, it brought back all sorts of memories and feelings of nastalgia.

Lorna loved it.

Can't say the rest of her clan liked it, but the twins sure did. They each had a bowl full.

Here's the recipe we used for anyone interested in a healthy meal (if you have a better recipe Natalia, please send it my way):

2 Beets (peeled)

2 carrots

2 sweet peppers

2 onions

1/2 head of cabbage

1 cup beans

parsely

dill

vegetable oil

potatoes

3 liters of water

tomato paste

That is how the recipe goes. Just add it all together and boil the heck out if it. :) We halfed it and still had plenty of soup. It would help if you shredded the beets, carrots and cabbage. We used black beans, but I guess you can use whatever you want. You may want to chop the onions and peppers really small. Add dill, (a couple of handfuls should do) and parsley, and tomato paste to taste. Enjoy!

Oh yeah, and I love the smell of diesel fuel now, by the way.

6 now let's hear it from you:

Abby said...

It definately sounds like an "interesting" dish. I'm an american girl through and through. Give me a burger and apple pie any day.

Michael and Natalia said...

Sharon, you should have made plov, too. Americans love it. I never put beans in my борщ (borsch) and I always boil the meat first (anything but poultry or fish - we do steaks). I only use oil when I fry chopped/shredded beets, carrots, onions and peppers together (with tomatoes+tomato paste) and then throw it all into one big pot, where I already have my meat, cabbage and potatoes almost ready.

We are so making borsch tomorrow!

Here at home said...

Thanks Natalia. That sounds so much better than how we made it. I will be making it again for sure. You're awesome.

Tamster said...

Good for you for trying it out. I think British food is more bland, too, if I remember correctly. It is interesting how different foods can be around the world. :-)

Bonnie said...

Hmmm. Not sure about that dish. being a Gooch though, I would have to try it.

HuckFinnsMom said...

Believe it or not, I think I recall making and eating borsch with grandma Platt... did I just dream that, or did it really happen?