Matthew 28:19
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
This is a principle that is taught in our church. Our young men and women, as well as retired couples, are sent all over the world to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ.
It's been 13 years ago that I received my mission call and had the awesome opportunity to serve in the Russia Samara mission. My whole mission feels more like a dream now with only pictures to remind me that it was real. I don't remember times and dates and have forgotten a few names, but I have not forgotten the feelings or impressions, nor has the love that I have for those people diminshed. Having served in a far off country, it's been next to impossible to return to that part of the world. While I tried to keep in touch with a lot of the people I served and grew to love, I'm sorry to say that I have lost contact with all of them. Just recently, I found two of those girls.
This goes out to Lena and Natasha:
Let me take you back in time. It's November, 1995. I had only been in Country for one month and just got transfered to my second area, Saratov. One of the first things we did when I got there was to meet Lena, a brand new member. My companion and I got to continue to teach her after her baptism. I still couldn't understand the language, let alone speak it, so really I guess I just sat there while Sister Shkilionik taught the discussions. But, I did not need to speak or understand the language to know that Lena was awesome. Not only did she introduce her two best friends to the gospel, one of whom, Natasha, was baptized. She also spent a lot of hours helping us, going on splits with us. We became great friends.

Lena, my companion Sister Kharchenko, and Ocksana (Lena's friend)

This is the day I got transfered out of Saratov. Natasha is standing on my right. Lena is behind her.

Lena on her mission in Washington DC South
The year before I got married, I got a letter from Lena. She was headed for the MTC (Missionary Training Center) in Provo and would be serving in the Wash. DC South mission. She also informed me that Natasha was serving a mission in Moscow. That was the most awesome feeling, true joy. By the time I got the letter, it was several weeks after she would have entered the MTC. I just figured she was already in the mission field by then. It just kept bugging me, though and I decided I should at least get her address so I could write to her. The day I called her mission office, the secretary informed me that Lena had not arrived yet but would be leaving SLC the next morning for DC. I was so excited I could hardly stand it. Had I waited any longer to heed those promptings, I would have missed her. I rounded up an Elder who served in the same area she lived in and we suprised her at the airport. I was the last person she was expecting to see. The look on her face when she finally recognized me was the best. It was so awesome. I got to visit with her for an hour or so. I kept in touch with her throughout her mission. Come to find out, one of her companion's boyfriend was companions with Lena's boyfriend in London at the same time they were companions. How cool is that! The last time I heard from her, she was home and I got this:
Lena's wedding announcement
It's sad to say I never responded to it. I have thought about her and have been meaning to write or do something to find her. Finally, a few weeks ago, I got the bright idea to look her up on her mission website. I emailed her and waited and waited, wondering if that was still her right email, or if she even had access to it in Russia.
Talk about make my day, yesterday! I got her response. I hope she doesn't mind me sharing it with you.
'Hi Sharon! Wow! I thought I wouldn't find you again! But you have found me!I'm happy to hear you have such a great family! Your little boys are so cute! How is it to be a mom of four? Do you have anyone to help you out or you are doing everything by yourself?My husband and I are living in Moscow. We have 3 year old daughter Varia and we are expecting a second baby in September. Ultrasound shows it seems like a girl! There are 7 branches in Saratov instead 4 now. They have divided branches and there are 2 branches in Engels. Some of them are quite small. They divided Dachny to Dachny and Trofimovskiy. Natasha Degtyareva is here in my home now visiting. She says Hi! She has a wonderful family in the Church and a four year old son. My husband and I are going to Temple trip to Finland in few days. Please keep in touch! I love you and miss you very much!'
I can't help it. It's just so exciting. Not only did I find Lena, I found Natasha.
The true joy of my mission carries on. The blessings are eternal.
D&C 15: And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!
10 now let's hear it from you:
That just makes me cry. It is so great to actually be able to see the difference that you were able to make. Well done thou good and faithful servant.
The joy just overflows - just listen to those gentle promptings of the Spirit and wait for the tender mercies of the Lord. The more you recognize and record these experiences, the more you will be blessed. Love WoWqjy
That is so neat to see the things that have happened in her life and to think about all of the people she has been able to touch too. I am glad you found each other again.
Dear Sister Gooch, I can't tell you how amazing I think you are! I already wanted to leave a comment when you were blogging about your twins, but felt awkward since you don't know me. This time I cried a lot worse then when I was reading about your boys. I am one of those Russian girls who have the most respect, love and gratitude to my missionaries for introducing the Gospel in my life and showing me the way to eternal happiness. I was baptized in 1997 in Togliatti and all my most spiritual memories go back to that time - when I was going on splits with the sisters, or serving in 10 callings at the same time:) I KNOW that you were a fantastic missionary!... because you found some pretty incredible people:)
Natalia,
I know you, kind of. I met you briefly a few years back at Mike Knapps bday party. I think you were pregnant at the time. Thank you for your comment. It meant a lot. I enjoy reading your blog and appreciate your great example to me. You are amazing. You have done a lot for Mike. He found a great person.
I got to serve in the Togliatti, New City. You are from the Old City, right? Anyway, thanks again for your comment.
That's awesome, Sharon! I'm very excited for you, and I also appreciate the reminder about missionary work. I didn't have the language barrier issue like you did, but I do know the joy that comes from serving a mission and seeing people accept the gospel. We all need to continue to be missionaries, even in our own homes, teaching our children the Gospel. Good job, Sharon! :-)
How come I didn't go on a mission?
So cool how the spirit works. Very touching. I am glad you shared.
Wow- what neat experiences, what blessings. I am glad to be back keeping up with the family and to have you share with us. thanks
I'm a little late to the party, but I really enjoyed this post. What neat memories it brings back!
Though I tend to forget the names and apartment numbers, my most vivid memories are of those days in Saratov Togliatti, and Samara. I can recall them all in milliseconds.
-Clint
Post a Comment