If my Grandma Platt was able to write a letter to my children about her memories of me, I think this is what she would say:
Dear Great-Grandchildren,
When I think about your mother as a young girl coming to my house, I always laugh. Her bangs always hung long so I couldn't see her blue eyes. I always threatened to cut them with siscors, but was never allowed to touch them. That girl was a tease (hum, I wonder where she go that from. Probably me) and loved to torment me to no end. She would hop the wall from next door to come visit in the bitter cold of winter with no shoes on. If I would have collected all the nickles and dimes I threatened to make them pay everytime she and her cousins would come barefoot, I would have been quite rich. I loved the time we spent together cooking up my favorite recipes, not that I really followed one, of course. Most of the time we would just make things up as we went. We bottled hundreds of bottles of fruit, salsa and other goodies. We baked homemade bread, and yummy cookies. She wasn't very good at buttering my toast. I always had to spread it to the corners when she wasn't looking. Your mom was the worst food sampler I ever saw. One day when I'd had enough of her picking on my food before it was ready to eat, I called her a P-I-G. I loved the time spent playing cards with her and her cousins. My personal favorite was playing Hearts. The girls always accused me of cheating, but I think your mother was the worst of us all. I don't know if those girls really knew what playing cards meant to me. It helped me to forget for a while the constant pain I was in. Living in a wheel chair for many years was really rough. I couldn't do a lot of things myself and I had wonderful children and grandchildren who spent their time helping me do the things I couldn't do myself, like washing dishes, doing laundry, wheeling me around, helping me with personal bathroom needs, etc. Your mom loved going for rides on my lap when she was a lot younger.
And now a word or two of wisdom from an old Grandma:
With all of the pain I was in and not being able to get around on my own, I still made it to church most every week. I loved the spirit that I felt there. I also love attending the temple and with the help of good neighbors and family, I was able to attend regularly when I was well enough to go. I loved the temple. It was a place I could go and forget the pain as well, knowing this was one thing I could do for others who couldn't help themselves. My faith and love in the Savior was what got me through a lot of things. I am here with Him and your great grandpa now and get to spend a lot of time learning and growing and helping in this great work that is going forward at a very fast pace. It never ends. It feels so good to be busy. We can't do it without your help, though. Always stay worthy and prepare yourselves to enter the temple when you are old enough. Remember the heritage you've been given. It is a legacy born of faith and love. I love my Savior, my family and this work. It's what life is all about. I love you very much. It is true. Families really are forever.
Love,
Your great grandma Platt (Bernice)
My New Favorite Quote:
"All can walk where Jesus walked when, with His words on our lips, His spirit in our hearts, and His teachings in our lives, we journey through mortality. I would hope that we would walk as he walked with confidence in the future, with an abiding faith in His Father, and with a genuine love for others." President Thomas S. Monson
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Letter from Grandma Platt
reporting live Here at home at 10:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 now let's hear it from you:
You forgot one important thing - Grandma Platt is no longer in pain nor in a wheelchair, and she and your grandpa can run, laugh, dance, and sing. Love WoW
I was going to add that part. But I knew someone would throw that in. It is true. She is no longer in pain and can walk and run and sing.
That was cool, Sharon! It made me wish I would have known her. Thanks for your creativity. I bet she would say those things! She's probably laughing right now reading what "she" wrote. :-)
She will probably say all those things a more when you are reunited again. He have quite the heritage to live up to.
You described her perfectly!!!! It makes me miss her SO much.
Wasn't her buttered bread and jam to die for?! I have a secret about her jam. I'll post about it soon.
Good job sis.
I will never forget when she would get all sorts of upset when she would see my messy bangs in my eyes. She would always tell me what a little scraggle muffin I was and wondered how I could see anything.
Amen pip, she did have the best toast and jam and to this day, I love to have toast and jam in the morning...not quite the same as grandma P's
Thanks for sharing this with me. I went to bed with tears when I read it. She has a special place in my heart, more so now that at any other time. I know she is still near us and helping us through the tough times in life.
Loved the toast and jam and even the snide remarks about my hair. I loved playing cards with her. She was competitive.
I'll never forget being sent downstairs to the dungeon, I mean storage room, to get jam or bottled fruit or pickles or green beans, etc. I could NEVER find what she sent me for- the spiders and bugs scared me so bad, I was sort of terrified temporarily blind. I would sincerely search, (which is kinda hard when you're blind), and then dejectedly go upstairs empty-handed. Grandpa would gruffly come down stairs with me and find whatever it was right in front of my eyes. Every time! I was just too sure I was going to grab a black widow- Shauna should have been there, she was my spider slayer. Nobody knows how many times this scenario happened to me. I'll tell you what though- that round sliced sourdough bread, toasted with apricot jam- mmmmmmm...I think I got called a P-I-G a few times myself!
Love you Sharon, thanks for the memories, and Happy Birthday!!
Grandma loved my bangs! I don't know what you are talking about.
I loved serving her, I loved putting curlers in her hair. I can still smell her. Her laugh was fun.
I will never forget the time I lied to her once. What a terrible feeling that was. And it was a friends influence that got me in the lie. I never got to ask her forgiveness for lying.
Nice touch Sharbear.
Post a Comment