My New Favorite Quote:

"All can walk where Jesus walked when, with His words on our lips, His spirit in our hearts, and His teachings in our lives, we journey through mortality. I would hope that we would walk as he walked with confidence in the future, with an abiding faith in His Father, and with a genuine love for others." President Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinkley

Shauna , Bonnie

The best antidote for worry is work. The best medicine for despair is service. The best cure for weariness is to help someone even more tired.


With the passing of our dear Prophet, President Hinkley, I just want to talk some of my memories of him while he was president of the church.
The one that stands out first and foremost in my mind is when I was about 8 or 9 and the Manti temple was rededicated. He was not president at the time, but a counsilor in the presidency. I don't remember a lot about what was said, I just remember him giving the dedicatory prayer and then singing the 'Spirit of God', as we waved white hankies. It felt as if angles were singing with us. I was so overcome by the spirit and I cried and cried. I will never forget that feeling. Another memory was when I was in the MTC (Missionary Training Center) when President Hinkley spoke in the Women's General Broadcast and issued the Family Proclamation. I remember the spirit was so strong at that time. It was a witness to me that he was truly an inspired man of God. Here was a mere mortal, one who suffers the same mortal afflictions that the rest of us do. He was not perfect, but was probably pretty close at 97. I loved the story of his mission when he was having a hard time. His father wrote him a letter that contained 7 words, "Gordon, forget yourself and go to work." Those words rang in my ears throughout my mission and gave me the courage to keep on going. Work was his motto. He never quit, even when he was 97 years old.
I loved his sense of humor. It was always so fun to see him walking along swinging his cane thinking that he didn't need it. He had a quick wit that everyone loved. It was always so touching to see him get emotional as he spoke. It was like Christmas everytime he would announce a new temple in General Conference. He was an optomist to the fullest.
What an awesome man. What an amazing leader. What a great example. He did so much for the church and will be sorely missed. I know I will miss him. Yet, how wonderful to know that he is with his dear wife again. What a sweet passing it must have been for him. He never stopped doing the Lords work and I know it will continue even now with his wife at his side. He is a true example of enduring to the end. I am grateful for the things he taught me. I am grateful for his love for the Savior, for his life and example. I know that he was a prophet of God. The spirit has born that witness to me many times. I only hope that I can remember the things he has taught and apply them more fully in my life.

3 now let's hear it from you:

Bonnie said...

I love your tribute. I also love what he taught about work. I needed to be reminded of that very thing at this time in my life as I have felt overwhelmed by the tasks that seemed to be piled on my head! Just forget myself and get it done! I can do it. Thanks for such a great reminder of a great principle.

I love him so much. What a giant of a person we hoped would live forever!

HuckFinnsMom said...

He will live forever bonbon! And arent we so blessed that we know that, and to know that he and his wife are together again. It makes me so overjoyed for him.

Tamster said...

Amen, amen, and AMEN!!! Thank you! :-)