My New Favorite Quote:

"All can walk where Jesus walked when, with His words on our lips, His spirit in our hearts, and His teachings in our lives, we journey through mortality. I would hope that we would walk as he walked with confidence in the future, with an abiding faith in His Father, and with a genuine love for others." President Thomas S. Monson

Monday, April 13, 2009

Road Trip

Well, we did it. We took a day  trip to St. George. No, we didn't do it in March, nor did we march to St. George. We decided it would be best to take the van so it wouldn't hurt our legs. St. George trip 002

It's not very often that I would be willing to make a three hour trip down and part way back in one day. But I would do it any day just to go see our old friends and neighbors. Do any of you have those kinds of neighbors? Mary and Loyd are like grandparents to my children and Mary considers me as one of her daughters. The boys loved to go to their house back in the day. She had a closet full of toys and that was always the first place they headed as soon as Mary would open her door. When they were done, she would give them an ice cream cone and send them home. Loyd had a garden next to our house in the easeway, and whenever he was out in his garden, the boys would always yell, 'hi Loyd'. He loved it. Mary was always so good to help me at church with the boys or come over and watch them for me when I needed to run somewhere. She was the best! I cried for days when I found out we were moving because I didn't want to leave them. Mary and I cried together when I told her we were leaving. She wasn't about to let her Sam go. I was going to be there for Mary in her old age to take care of her. I was going to be there when Loyd was at his worst and when he wasn't there anymore. I still cry when I think about it. They needed us, and we needed them. I miss them terribly. 

It's been about eight months since we've seen them. Ammon and Sam asked on the way if they could play with the toys and have ice cream. Sure enough, that was the first thing they did when they got there after they gave Mary and Loyd a quick hug - head for the toy closet. And when we were ready to leave, they all got their ice cream.

St. George trip 057

We knew we needed to get down there to see them, because we weren't sure if we would get to see Loyd again in this life. He is suffering from cancer and the prognosis isn't so good right now, yet look at him. He's still smiling. I don't know who I feel more sorry for. Loyd, or Mary. Right now she's doing all she can to hold herself and Loyd up.  It was all I could do the whole time I was there to keep from crying. It's hard to see someone you love suffering. My heart goes out to both of them. 

It was sooo good to see them, even if it was just for a couple hours.

We also got to go to lunch with some other neighbors and say hi to my friend Danielle for a minute. I wish we could have spent more time down there. We will have to make the trip again soon.St. George trip 049

4 now let's hear it from you:

shauna said...

You are lucky to know such wibdeful people. Your children will have great memories and so will you. I love to know that you have such amazing people in your life. God Bless.

Abby said...

I am amazed to she how much Lloyd has changed. It is great to have people like that in your life who when you are there (even after being one for 8 months) act like it has only been a day since you saw them last. Hopefully your kids will ALWAYS remember the toy closet and ice cream cones. Those are the kind of things that last forever. I'm glad you got to go down there in the nice warm sunshine while it was raining up here. Lucky.

Matt said...

Plus, St. George is warm and a nice get away from this part of the state. I always love going to St. George. Of course, our reason for visiting moved just up the "road" from us so we get to see them more. :)

Unknown said...

You have learned one of the great secrets of life: Befriend people older than yourself. Some of my most meaningful relationships have been with people who were a generation or so ahead of me.

And I loved your story about your missionary companion falling down on the ice in Russia (on my very deep post re: falling)!

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing that giggle with me!