My New Favorite Quote:

"All can walk where Jesus walked when, with His words on our lips, His spirit in our hearts, and His teachings in our lives, we journey through mortality. I would hope that we would walk as he walked with confidence in the future, with an abiding faith in His Father, and with a genuine love for others." President Thomas S. Monson

Thursday, April 9, 2009

How do you converse with a 3 yr. old?

Last Fri. I had errands to run and decided I would take Ammon with me to give us some one-on-one time. We had a great time and Ammon was quite the chatter box, asking me questions and making comments the whole time. When we got home, Sam was more excited to see Ammon than me. He missed his big brother.

Sam's turn to run errands with me came yesterday. Dad decided to take the day off, so off we went, Sam and I. He is a different kid when he's alone. He was really quiet, and bored. Of course, shopping with Mom isn't all that fun. I tried asking him questions to get a conversation going to no avail. Instead he would give me this little half grunt, half whatever and continue staring out the window. I was really thinking I don't know how to converse with a  3 yr. old. It wasn't until last night as I thought about it some more that I realized Sam is used to people telling him what to say. He's quite the little parrot, mimicking everything Ammon says. I'm sure he felt lost without Ammon. They're off in their own element when they're together. I love that they're such good friends. I'm glad I got to spend that time with each one of them, though. It gave me a chance to get to know them on an individual basis a little bit better, and got me thinking about the kind of different kind of attention and discipline that each needs. Next time I will have to plan something a little more fun than shopping, though. A movie or some park time might work.

 

On a different note:

Both days I was running errands with one of the boys, my sweet husband stayed home with the others. When we got home, the kitchen was cleaned up so nice. Not only that, yesterday, I dropped Sam off and went to my 2 1/2 hour hair appointment, came home, fixed dinner and was off to YW. I felt bad I didn't get to see my husband all day, but he didn't complain at all. It felt good to come home to a clean kitchen, the laundry all put away that I hadn't gotten to, and a clean bedroom. I sure love that man.

4 now let's hear it from you:

Abby said...

I love that little guy. I will try not to tell Sam things to say. I'm glad you got to spend some time with them.

Matt said...

I'm with Abby. No more Samalicious unless he says it on his own. They're sweet kids.

shauna said...

Buy Sam a parrot and let him teach the parrot what to say. Then give them both some crackers.

I am sure they loved spending individual time with you guys. They have cool parents and you have a great hubby.

Wendoyoublog in Colorado said...

I used to ask my kids questions that I knew they would have to say, "No, it was this, or that"....and then it forced them to talk. Love those alone moments. Especially with kids who are so close in age. Then you can see the real them.

Out of the mouths of babes....