"Saturday is a special day. It's the day we get ready for Sunday . . ."
Or we try to, anyway. You know how it is. When it comes time to do chores, you would think we were asking the boys to cut off their arm or something. Sometimes I think it would just be easier and would get done a whole lot sooner and better if I just did it all myself. I remember exactly what it was like when I was younger and had to take care of my chores. Pure torture. Whether it was as simple as picking up something off the floor, or as arduous as washing that sink and counter and other counter full of dirty dishes, I just knew it was going to kill me. My boys act the same way. This morning was no exception. Ziki was sure this was taking forever and couldn't wait to play the playstation. "Please, Mom. Don't make me do any more!" "This is taking toooo looooonnggg!" "I'm soooo tiiiirrrred." Sam didn't like any of the chores he was assigned. "I hate vacuuming downstairs." "I hate using that vaccum." "Why do you always make me mop the floor!" He's always the last one done. Ben gets distracted and conveniantly forgets he's supposed to be doing chores. I have to remind him several times to get going. And then the whining begins. He usually gets done not long before Sam. Ammon is my most responsible helper. Most of the time he gets right on his chores and is always the first one done. Today he started to whine at first, but changed his attitude real fast. In fact, he went about his tasks with a song. I couldn't have been more proud of him and made sure they all noticed that Ammon was choosing to have fun while he worked. A few minutes later, Ammon looks at me and says, "Mom, I'm being like Nephi and they're all being like Laman and Lemual." There must have been so many other things going on at the moment because I don't really remember what my reaction to that was. In fact, it was a passing moment. I may have laughed about it slightly and went on my way. I almost forgot about it until tonight. How could I have just let that one pass like that. This one must be written down so that I will never forget that moment when my son was applying gospel principles in his life. So that he knows how proud I am of him for being an example - for being so grown up and responsible. In the end, they all got their chores done today and got to play their playstation. I'm sure someday they'll all get it, too. I'm grateful for the help they all give me and love every single one of them. Even when they whine about doing chores. I love it even more when they choose to work with a positive attitude.
My New Favorite Quote:
"All can walk where Jesus walked when, with His words on our lips, His spirit in our hearts, and His teachings in our lives, we journey through mortality. I would hope that we would walk as he walked with confidence in the future, with an abiding faith in His Father, and with a genuine love for others." President Thomas S. Monson
Saturday, April 28, 2012
Nephi? - or Laman and Lemuel?
reporting live Here at home at 11:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 now let's hear it from you:
Post a Comment